Terminology and Abbreviations

Upholstery Terminology and Abbreviations

Special Terminology

Pull Down (also called a "Stretcher Cloth"): A strip of cloth sewed to the bottom of the inside arms and inside back in areas that don't show.

Deck: the area under the seat cushions

Arc springs: zig zag springs that are in the seats and backs most modern sofas and chairs.

Tack strips: strips of cardboard or metal that have tacks embedded.

Fabric Cutting Direction

  • Railroad the fabric: this means that you are cutting from the side of the fabric. The top of the fabric is across the other side of the fabric.
  • Up the roll: the top of the fabric is up the roll. You cut all the fabric pieces with the top pointed up towards the roll of fabric.


Use these abbreviations to mark the back of the fabric pieces after they are cut.

IA  Inside Arm
OA  Outside Arm
AF  Arm Face
IB   Inside Backrest
OB  Outside Back 
IW   Inside Wing
OW  Outside Wing
FDK  Front Deck
FB    Front Band
TB    Top Band
CUSH  Cushion top and bottom
Box   Cushion Boxing
Zip   Cushion Zipper
Cush W  Cushion Welt